Who needs a security licence?

In NSW, security employers (whether sole traders or corporate entities) must hold a Master Licence, and only Master Licence holders can employ licensed security personnel. Licensed security personnel must hold either Class 1 or Class 2 licences, depending on the security activities they perform.

Class 1
A. Unarmed Guards
B. Bodyguards
C. Crowd Controllers
D. Guard Dog Holders
E. Security Alarm Monitoring Centre Operators
F. Armed Guards

Class 2
A. Security Consultants
B. Security Sellers
C. Security Technicians (Including Barrier and Electronic Equipment Specialists, and Locksmiths)
D. Security Trainers

If a person is self-employed (e.g. a one-person alarm installation business), he/she must have both a Master Licence AND the relevant individual licence.

CCTV/Security Cameras and “Off the shelf” security alarm systems that are bought from retailers can only be installed by the purchasing party; engaging a third party to install these systems requires the installers to possess a valid Security Operators Licence and operate under the employment of a Security Master Licence.

DISCLAIMER: The information above is a précis only of the licensing requirements in each State and Territory. For full, detailed information you MUST visit the website of the relevant regulator.

See ASIAL’s website for more information, or visit the website of the NSW Security Industry regulator, Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate (SLED).

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s